[Taxacom] Job Opportunity at Yale Digital Collections Center, Yale University
louis.king at yale.edu
Mon Oct 28 13:56:52 CDT 2013
Senior Software Engineer for Cultural Heritage Applications and Infrastructure
The Yale Digital Collection Center (YDC2)<http://ydc2.yale.edu> is seeking the right software developer to join their talented team working on developing leading edge applications and digital content platform to make use of the world-class digital cultural heritage collections from Yale's pre-eminate museums and arts community. The Senior Software Engineer will develop applications in support of research, teaching, learning and public engagement and development of the YDC2 Content Platform including digital asset management, metadata management, content delivery services, search and discovery, digital preservation, and research data management.
View additional information and apply for the position.<http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?externalApply=&jobId=-1&url=http://linkedin-api.simplyhired.com/a/li-api/view/jobkey-5235.1845592992/rid-csdzpfnrvptfrasjlkobgitpfbhlwnmf/jp-1/hits-3/licc-us/ln-en&urlhash=ZCL1&trk=vsrp_simplyhired_job_res_name&trkInfo=searchId:149863861382720911427>
Jobs at Yale: http://www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/index.html
Requisition Number: 22069BR
Original Posting Date 26-Jun-2013
STARS Requisition number 22069BR
Department Digital Infrastructure
University Job Title Senior Software Engineer
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Fixed
If Fixed Duration, Period 3 years from date of hire
If Fixed Duration, is continuation possible? Yes
Salary Grade P6
Worksite Address 234 Church
Work Week Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Position Focus: The Senior Software Engineer will develop applications in support of research activity that makes use of Yale's digital cultural heritage collections. The position will focus on the areas of digital asset management, search and discovery, digital preservation, and research data management.
Department URL Address: Click here for more information<http://ydc2.yale.edu/>
Principal Responsibilities 1. Provides an overall leadership role. Serves as a technical advisor to programmers and provide technical guidance to leadership to assist with the formulating of long range development plans.
2. Leads efforts to evaluate University business and administrative processes and needs; identifies, analyzes and defines systems requirements for large administrative areas. Designs and implements large and highly complex administrative systems.
3. Leads the planning, development and implementation of business solutions. Ensures stakeholder and intended user's needs, scheduled timeline, and budgetary targets are met or exceeded.
4. Defines and executes quality assurance and unit testing procedures to ensure high quality solutions. Monitors effectiveness and efficiency of applications and systems and conduct initiatives to improve system availability, cost, performance and manageability across the lifecycle. Performs highly complex and unusual problem solving.
5. Leads, plans, and manages major projects; including architectural design, technology selection, and methodologies to apply. Advises and influences both internal and external consulting teams.
6. Develops and oversees production support functions and integrates system requirements among several departments. Formulates systems design schedule and writes program modules.
7. Leads and ensures ongoing maintenance and support for applications and systems. Leads technical evaluations. Interface with vendors to resolve major software issues. Responsible for final decisions on purchases of hardware and software products.
8. Trains, mentors, and develops technical staff. Leads and oversees support for training of end users.
9. Recommends and creates new policy. Creates and utilizes best practices.
10. Takes a leadership role in keeping current with existing and emerging technologies and methodologies. Provides leadership in the ongoing establishment and use of programming standards and methodologies, with intent to improve overall efficiency of group and client satisfaction.
11. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience Bachelor's Degree in a related field and six years of related work experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Demonstrated proficiency in software development using Java/J2EE.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Experience with SQL databases (e.g., MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle).
Required Skill/Ability 4: Competency in a scripting language such as Ruby or Python.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: 1. Java/J2EE development experience
2. Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS EC2, S3, SQS, DynamoDB)
3. Understanding of RDF and linked data concepts
4. Experience with Hydra or Blacklight
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html<http://www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html> for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Louis E. King
Digital Information Architect
YDC2-Yale Digital Collection Center
234 Church Street, 7th Floor
New Haven, CT 06510-1800
P.O. Box 208374
New Haven, CT 06520-8374
eMail: Louis.King at yale.edu<mailto:Louis.King at yale.edu>
More information about the Taxacom