[Taxacom] open access issues: reg Global Coalition of Access to Research, Science and Education

Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Sat Aug 9 03:36:34 CDT 2014

Dear colleagues
Here is an initiative that is relevant to our work and especially our future on how we work and how we will be ABLE to work.
Please consider this initiative and even more think twice about signing any agreement with publishers before careful consideration of the contract.

Donat

Global Coalition of Access to Research, Science and Education Organizations calls on STM to Withdraw New Model Licenses
Posted on August 7, 2014<http://www.plos.org/global-coalition-of-access-to-research-science-and-education-organizations-calls-on-stm-to-withdraw-new-model-licenses/> by PLOS<http://www.plos.org/author/prometheus/>

As a group, the undersigned organizations share a vision in which scholarly knowledge is a common good, a resource for the whole of humanity. This means more than just allowing the public access to research outputs, it means making research available in a way that allows its integration with the rest of human knowledge. It means making the resources arising from research and from wider public activities interoperable.

The Association of Scientific, Technical and Medical Publishers has recently released a set of model licenses for research articles<http://www.stm-assoc.org/open-access-licensing/>. In their current formulation, these licenses would limit the use, reuse and exploitation of research. They would make it difficult, confusing or impossible to combine these research outputs with other public resources and sources of knowledge to the benefit of both science and society. There are many issues with these licenses, but the most important is that they are not compatible with any of the globally used Creative Commons licenses. For this reason, we call on the STM Association to withdraw them and commit to working within the Creative Commons framework.