Roderic Page Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk
Tue Aug 19 09:27:07 CDT 2014

Readers of TAXACOM may have come across the following paper on the relative merits of GBIF data and expert-curated data:

Hjarding, A., Tolley, K. A., & Burgess, N. D. (2014, July 10). Red List assessments of East African chameleons: a case study of why we need experts. Oryx. Cambridge University Press (CUP). http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/s0030605313001427

It’s behind a paywall, but there’s been some discussion on iPhylo http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2014/08/seven-percent-of-gbif-data-is-usable.html , and Angelique and her co-authors have written a thoughtful response: http://iphylo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/guest-post-response-to-discussion-on.html

Feels a little like throwing the lions some red meat :O but I’d be interested in people’s views on whether the kinds of issues the authors experienced with GBIF data are common, and thoughts on how best to tackle them.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy