[Taxacom] Recommendation 23A

Mary Barkworth Mary.Barkworth at usu.edu
Mon Aug 4 06:07:09 CDT 2014

These look like specific epithets, not names. A specific epithet is only part of a name, it is the second word in the name of a species. For instance, "Poa borealis" or "Triticum boreale" would be names of species, "borealis" and "boreale" are just epithets. Epithets such as those cited are adjectives and have to agree in gender with the generic name (the first word of the two words that make up the name of a species).  The pairs cited are not homonyms because they are not names, just part of a name.

Mary