[Taxacom] Recommendation 23A

Karl Magnacca kmagnacca at wesleyan.edu
Mon Aug 4 13:43:26 CDT 2014

Mary Barkworth <Mary.Barkworth at usu.edu> wrote:
> These look like specific epithets, not names. A specific epithet is
> only part of a name, it is the second word in the name of a
> species. For instance, "Poa borealis" or "Triticum boreale" would
> be names of species, "borealis" and "boreale" are just epithets.
> Epithets such as those cited are adjectives and have to agree in
> gender with the generic name (the first word of the two words that
> make up the name of a species).  The pairs cited are not homonyms
> because they are not names, just part of a name.

Yes, but Triticum boreale and Triticum borealis would be homonyms.
Not everyone follows gender correctly.

Back to the original post, I believe the recommendation would be
addressing names like Scaevola gaudichaudii and Scaevola
gaudichaudiana.  There are more egregious examples but that's one
that comes to mind that people are often confusing.  Also in my
group, Hylaeus, there is H. rugulosus and H. rugosulus; the former
was improperly given a new name for homonymy with the latter.

Karl