Donat Agosti agosti at amnh.org
Sun Aug 24 06:52:00 CDT 2014

What is useful? What is an error.

I haven't seen neither a definition of what GBIF data ought to be no for what use cases it has been collected. Only then might it be possible to make the bold statements of whether the data is wrong or useful. Having this defined would then also allow to define, whether a research project is properly designed or not, that is makes assumptions regarding the data to be used that might be wrong. Thus, the problem is not on GBIF side but rather on the researchers side.

But one might also ask whether the assumption "GBIF-data" is correct. GBIF is not a primary data provider, nor are often the underlying institutions in the sense that the data they provide have been collected with the same protocol, the same purpose, detail. There will thus never be "GBIF-data" but always a collection of data or different origins, purposes, etc.

GBIF provides a fantastic overview, the only one that exists, of what data is somewhere available.

It also offers a unique chance to criticize data that exists, because each data point (observation record) is put into a context and thus allows to scrutinize it.

But probably most importantly, studies such as the Chameleon conservation are very helpful for what data is needed. Obviously, but turning to GBIF data, the authors have not better data at hand, and are nevertheless very critical. This points out probably the really important point, what data is needed for successful conservation work. It thus should be used to guide future collection of data that are informed from such studies and lead to detailed meta data.

GBIF at the same time could categorize data based on their collecting protocol and other characteristics of data. Since this is in  most cases not available, we as a community should rather look into the future how we can collect such data. The 500,000,000 records might be a hint, that is bird observation data from ongoing surveys. There is another huge potential pool, that is specimen images put on Flickr, iNature with adequate metadata (GPS record, time stamp, scientific or vernacular name that) and the possibility to re-identifiy.

I feel, the discussion is too much centered on data that has not the information content needed, like studying a Landsat image at 30 meter resolution and discussing what tree species is shown: We now there are now used to see looking at high Resolution remote sensing images. We better make sure, our observation records are also high resolution.

Donat