Michael Heads m.j.heads at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 16:36:38 CDT 2014

GBIF provides excellent information for Europe, North America, South Africa
and Australasia, but those areas are very well-known anyway. Outside those
areas, other sources are often much more useful than GBIF. For
distributions, birds are the best-known group. I chose a very well-known,
widespread bird at random: the owl Asio otus. There is an excellent map at
the IUCN site:

http://maps.iucnredlist.org/map.html?id=22689507

In contrast, the one at GBIF is very misleading for areas outside Europe
and the US:

http://www.gbif.org/species/2497306

The GBIF map has NO records north of a line Moscow - Lake Baikal, so a huge
area of the bird's range isn't covered at all. In fact GBIF handles most
Russian groups very poorly indeed, although it's supposed to deal with
'global' biodiversity information and Russia is the largest country in the
world.

Every year or so I check Papilionidae on GBIF to see any improvement:

http://www.gbif.org/species/9417

Note the usual iron curtain effect, but also the Canada/US border! In
Africa, the borders of DR Congo are clearly visible, presumably because
Belgian records are incorporated while French and English ones are not..

--
Dunedin, New Zealand.

My recent books:

*Molecular panbiogeography of the tropics.* 2012. University of California
Press, Berkeley. www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520271968

*Biogeography of Australasia:  A molecular analysis*. 2014. Cambridge
University Press, Cambridge. www.cambridge.org/9781107041028