Roderic Page Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk
Sun Aug 24 18:29:46 CDT 2014

I for one am finding this a very useful discussion (apologies to those on TAXACOM who are bored rigid by it).

Not wishing to spoil the fun regarding evil bureaucrats sucking all the biodiversity money into organisations intent on covering up their inadequacies, but here are some links to some relevant aspects of GBIF.

- GBIF recently released analytics where you can get an indications of data quality http://analytics.gbif-uat.org/global/index.html You can see all sorts of features in the data, some of which are almost certainly artefacts. Indeed one reason for showing these charts is so that artefacts can be spotted more readily.

- GBIF does a lot of data cleaning before data appears in the portal, see this blog post for example http://gbif.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/here-be-dragons-mapping-occurrence-data.html  For each individual occurrence record GBIF will often add a  “flag” indicating that something is wrong (e.g, the geographic coordinates don’t match the country the specimen is reported from). These flags don’t cover all issues by any means, but they do flag some of the obvious problems.

- To get a sense of how GBIF-mobilised data is being used, see http://www.mendeley.com/groups/1068301/gbif-public-library/papers/ for a list of publications that mention GBIF or make use of data from GBIF.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy