Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Mon Aug 25 02:35:03 CDT 2014

Hi Stephen,

Let's say there are half a million bogus records in GBIF.  That's 1% -- which is MUCH better than most datasets!  The truth is, there could be fifty million bogus records, and it would STILL be cleaner than a lot of datasets.

A lot of this discussion is very silly.  The answer is easy:  If you find the data in GBIF useful, then use it.  If not, then don't.  As Donat pointed out, the amount of money GBIF uses is little more than a rounding error compared to the global biodiversity research budget; so this nonsense about "money could be better spent" blah, blah, blah, and "GBIF was built by bureaucrats for bureaucrats" blah, blah, blah is just plain looney.

Having said that, I think this thread has been very useful and interesting overall.  It's really about clearing up misunderstandings, and thinking through plausible solutions to real-world biodiversity data problems.

Aloha,
Rich