Chuck Miller Chuck.Miller at mobot.org
Mon Aug 25 15:32:23 CDT 2014

Rod,
I see what you are thinking.

I'm thinking too much about the alternate views that seem to always come up in comments about taxonomic data, even right here on Taxacom.  So, an annotation thread could be something like:
"Now in different genus"
"No way, respectfully what century are you from?. It's not even a species."
"Maybe they meant Africa."
"Yeh, in Namibia it was split and revised to Y, I think."
"The phylogeny for Y is totally different. It's now in Z. Does no one read my work? Taxonomic tyranny!"
"Consider this DOI that refers to new collections and it seems to contradict all y'all."

What does "social" annotation turn into?  Lots of useful information but if it starts being contradictory or overlapping, can it be databased and which contradiction is the primary?  Hopefully, annotation of localities could be straightforward as in your example.

Chuck