Dean Pentcheff pentcheff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 17:27:47 CDT 2014

Non-automated social input to Rod Page's suggestion: +1.

I _very_ much like the structure of this. At one swipe it takes care of a
lot of the problems of migrating a "comment" into "data", primarily by
removing the difference.

The assumption of the "comment on data" model is that data fields have
particular properties (numeric, free text, restricted vocabulary,
restricted numeric [e.g. lat/long], etc.), whereas comments are assumed to
be free text.

Rod's model (if I'm representing his proposal accurately) brings all the
"type" information of a field to what we are calling a comment on a field.
If you "comment" on a latitude, you have to put your comment in as a number
between -90 and +90. It's a datum in the correct format.

As part of the annotation system, one also assumes that any "comment" will
also have accompanying metadata (who made the comment, and quite likely a
free text field for the justification).

The key thing here is that it drastically reduces the difficulty of using
data from incoming comments by changing the job from
selection+interpretation+input to selection.

-Dean
--
Dean Pentcheff
pentcheff at gmail.com