Lyubomir Penev lyubo.penev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 02:56:06 CDT 2014

Rod,

Your proposal is indeed elegant, but what about using two separate general
types of annotations, e.g.: (1) Corrections/Additions and (2) Comments
("sticky notes")?

The Type 1 (Annotations=Corrections/Additions) can go straight to
improve/amend the data (after approval or not is a different story), for
example adding geocoordinates for a well-known locality or adding a
collector's name missing on label data but known from other source, etc.

Annotations Type 2 (Annotations=Comments) could be associated with the
original data or with Type 1 Annotations, e.g., "velvet worms cannot live
in the ocean, correct geocoordinates for this locality", or "this locality
might be wrongly spelled", etc.

No need to explain that Type 2 annotations could be based on a rich
controlled vocabulary of statements, besides the free text option, which
will allow machine processing of a part of the process, including automated
verification of the original data in some particular cases. For example,
annotation of the kind  "Now in different genus"  could automatically query
a trusted taxonomy source (CoL, GNUB, etc,) and display all possible
versions and validity status of that name and its combinations.

Regards,
Lyubomir

--
Dr. Lyubomir Penev