Roderic Page Roderic.Page at glasgow.ac.uk
Tue Aug 26 04:48:31 CDT 2014

Hi Lyubo,

Yes, you could have structured annotations and free text for comments. But what I’d like to avoid is the idea that simply putting a comment system onto a database is the answer. It’s easy to do that (I use Disqus on my blog, and on BioStor and BioNames, for example), but that doesn’t get us terribly far (useful as people’s comments are).

If we focus on the structured annotations, and the idea that multiple authorities can write about the same thing, then this leads inevitably to the idea of having a single, global annotation store that holds data about all kinds of things that we care about.

This was what I was trying to articulate in http://iphylo.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/rethinking-annotating-biodiversity-data.html  It can be done in a way that makes almost no demands on data providers at all, and if it’s done cleverly it will (as a side effect) provide a potentially powerful database we can use to ask some of the bigger questions about biodiversity data.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy