Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Aug 26 11:55:43 CDT 2014

Guys,

You do realize that all of this is the foundation of FilteredPush, right?  It was designed to allow both structured (i.e., machine-actionable/automated) annotations and text-based (i.e., for human eyeballs) comments.

The tricky part is not the mechanism (it already exists).  The tricky part is the process of automating the structured annotations.  Should the system ALWAYS accept structured annotations and over-write existing data?  Or should it be moderated?  Or, should there be some sort of user model that allows people to earn some level of reliability, and their annotations are accepted without review; whereas other annotations must be "approved".

There are a million ways it can be done.  Personally, I think some fundamentals are:
1) Information should NEVER be obliterated.  That is, a field is never simply over-written with new information; the old information is always retrievable.
2) There needs to be a method to represent the "best" information.  For example, a single specimen/occurrence may have multiple competing taxonomic determinations.  All determinations should be visible, but it's helpful to the non-expert user if one of them can be represented as the "correct" (per someone) determination.
3) Over-reliance on non-automated, human-mitigated processes = DEATH.  This is because everyone is already too busy.

Including me.

Aloha,
Rich