[Taxacom] History of the Denver Museum of Natural History

Frank.Krell at dmns.org Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Sat Jan 4 18:16:01 CST 2014

To those interested in the history of natural history museums:

On 31 December 2013 a comprehensive history of the Denver Museum of Nature & Science has been published. Thirty-two authors have contributed to the 427 pages of the volume that contains a summative history of the whole institution from the very beginning in 1897, and detailed, comprehensive histories of Exhibits, Education, and the Research and Collections departments Zoology, Geology, Paleontology, Anthropology, Space Sciences, and Health Sciences. It is illustrated with uncountable historical photos and illustrations, many of them in color. This will be *the* reference on the Museum's history for a long time, it looks nice, and it reads pretty well (I can say that since as the Editor-in-Chief, I had to read the whole thing). The volume is number 4 of the Denver Museum of Nature & Science Annals and available for free download at http://www.dmns.org/science/museum-publications/.
It can be purchased at lulu.com, in hardbound and paperback (links given on the publications webpage). As it is in full color, it is not cheap, but probably worth it. We produced a separate edition of the first chapter (summative history) which can also be purchased at lulu.com, in hardbound and paperback.

The Denver Museum will continue its remarkable journey with the opening of the Morgridge Family Exploration Center in February 2014, a new 126,000 square feet state-of-the-art collections and education facility. Stay tuned.

Happy New Year

Frank

Dr. Frank-T. Krell, DMNS Annals, Editor-in Chief
Curator of Entomology
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab
The Denver Museum of Nature & Science aspires to create a community of critical thinkers who understand the lessons of the past and act as responsible stewards of the future.