[Taxacom] Call for Comments: Taxonomic Practice and the Code

Frank.Krell at dmns.org Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Tue Jan 7 23:22:00 CST 2014

Stephen,
I agree with almost everything you say, but just to make clear: The Commission is not trying to offload the policing of bad or unethical taxonomy to the scientific community (if this is what you meant). There is nothing to offload since the Commission has currently no mandate to police bad or unethical taxonomy. For hundreds of years, the scientific community has "policed" bad taxonomy or unethical behavior without the help of a nomenclatural commission. (In my opinion, this has always worked out well in the long term.)
Some individuals want the Commission to have this new, additional mandate, and they have lobbied for it. Instead of blindly following the lobbyists, the Commission wants to explore thoughts and opinions of the broader community on this issue.

Cheers

Frank

Dr. Frank-T. Krell
Curator of Entomology
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab
The Denver Museum of Nature & Science aspires to create a community of critical thinkers who understand the lessons of the past and act as responsible stewards of the future.