[Taxacom] [iczn-list] Call for Comments: Taxonomic Practice and the Code

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed Jan 8 16:29:53 CST 2014

Reiterating what I have already said, the ICZN is trying, cunningly, to pander to the aggressive lobbying by a few institutional taxonomists to enforce a code of "ethics" (possibly a very biased notion of "ethics" taylored to the agenda of those few institutional taxonomists), while at the same time not directly interfering in such matters. Their cunning solution is to facilitate the enforcement of the "ethics" by the scientific community, by way of new Code provisions, so that the ICZN itself makes no ethical judgements directly (as it has no mandate to do so), but rather the scientific community makes the judgements, which the Code ratifies.

Stephen