[Taxacom] Questions on Taxonomic Code of Practice

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 17:17:04 CST 2014

> Aus bus (L. 1758) sensu XYZ (2013)
> This implies that Aus bus (L. 1758) was misidentified by XYZ (2013) !

No it doesn't. It means 'in the sense of' or 'as used by'. If it implies
anything at all, it is one of difference of interpretation or
understanding. If there was a misidentification or similar stuff-up
involved, we would/should be more explicit. 'Non' and 'not' have been used
for this sort of thing.

> The only way is to state in words something like "we are herein
> following the species concept of XYZ (2013) for Aus bus (L. 1758) ..."

Which is what 'sensu' means...

But as these are taxonomic assertions, none of 'The Codes', being
nomenclatural and all, really need to bother themselves with all this. ;)

jim