[Taxacom] Call for Comments: Taxonomic Practice and the Code

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Thu Jan 9 02:56:17 CST 2014

From: "Stephen Thorpe" <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2014 9:20 PM

> The primary function of author/date of taxonomic names
> is [...] to link the name to an original publication and
> primary type, and also to set priority for synonymy.

***
This may be the primary use Stephen Thorpe puts author
citations to, but author citations existed long before there
were types. The classic use of author citations was to
give credit and to refer to other people's concepts. In no
Code is there anything about using author citations to
link to primary types ...

However, if authors are going to be cited, it is very
useful to include a date, indeed to help determine
priority.
* * *