[Taxacom] Taxonomic concepts [Was: Questions on Taxonomic Code of Practice]

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Jan 9 15:01:36 CST 2014

Jim,

In zoology, Aus bus (L. 1758) non XYZ (2013) would more often imply homonymy, not misidentification, i.e. Aus bus (L. 1758) and Aus bus XYZ (2013) are distinct available names (homonyms).

So, we have 3 separate issues, viz. (1) misidentifications; (2) homonymy; and (3) "taxonomic concepts". Of these, (3) doesn't really get explicitly discussed in zoological taxonomy very much at all (at most, sensu lato and sensu stricto get used to distinguish between broader and narrower concepts).

There isn't a standard terminology to deal unambiguously with (1) , (2) or (3), so there is much potential for confusion!

Cheers,

Stephen