[Taxacom] [iczn-list] Dealing with taxonomic vandalism without the need to alter the zoological Code, this being relegation of bogus taxa to synonymy

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Fri Jan 10 13:07:00 CST 2014

This Hoser/Schleip etc. mess (Sorry to our Canadian members for calling
someone a Hoser in a message, and to our Yiddish speakers for referring
to someone as a Schleip, no disrespect is meant in either case) is a
minor kerfuffle, caused by too many aficionados chasing too little
biodiversity.  It can be dealt with by a combination of time (eventually
all the antagonists will die) and good followup scholarship.  We have
lots of examples where this type of silliness has been touted as the end
of the world, only to become a historical anecdote 50 years later.  Cope
and Marsh were the same.  Horn published rebuttals to Casey's papers
regularly, to which Casey responded angrily, there was a move to
suppress all of Maurice Pic's poorly described species, Lindroth even
applauded Pic's death as being good for the field, and in the end,
everyone moved on and we deal with it.  I think the antagonists here are
massively egomaniacal in thinking the rest of us should care about their
little dispute.  Leave the Commission out of this.  Names are valid or
not, quality is not an issue for the Commission. Unprofessional behavior
should be dealt with in other ways.  Don't involve the Code or the
Commission in these tar baby disputes.

Mike

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

Montana Entomology Collection