[Taxacom] [iczn-list] Dealing with taxonomic vandalism without the need to alter the zoological Code, this being relegation of bogus taxa to synonymy

Neal Evenhuis neale at bishopmuseum.org
Fri Jan 10 13:39:04 CST 2014

Touché!!

Thanks, Mike.

Few seem to know or pay attention to history, but it has helpful
information to allow accurate decision making. When one puts the H/Sche
situation in comparison to past situations like this, it is pitifully
small and unimportant in the big scheme of all zoological taxonomy. The
ICZN has, since its inception, rightly refused to "sanction" names or
"suppress" names in a censorship mode and should not start now -- or even
devise filters or rules (instead of recommendations) by which names should
be formed to disallow certain people from publishing. If it does, it is a
slippery slope that falls into an open can of worms leading to a sticky
wicket guarding Pandora's box -- and it will it be hard to get out of all
those clichés. They should only be involved with threats to stability, and
instability can really only be proven after a long time of usage.

I told Doug privately I would not comment -- apparently I lied.

-Neal