[Taxacom] Neoromicia nanus or Neoromicia nana?

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 10 16:39:45 CST 2014

On 1/10/14 1:46 PM, Alex Borisenko wrote:
> I would appreciate hearing expert views on a nomenclatural issue related to a common bat species - the African banana bat. Originally described as Vespertilio nanus Peters, 1852, it has since been tossed into the genus Pipistrellus and, most recently, Neoromicia.
> Currently, the global mammal checklist uses the name "Neoromicia nanus": http://www.departments.bucknell.edu/biology/resources/msw3/browse.asp?s=y&id=13802268
> However, a recent article proposes to use "Neoromicia nana", based on the fact that the gender of the generic epithet is feminine: http://www.italian-journal-of-mammalogy.it/article/view/4427
> This new 'feminine' spelling gradually becomes entrenched in regional literature, but not in the global checklists.
> I was unable to find the word 'nanus' in online Latin dictionaries.

> Do I understand correctly that, albeit sounding Latin, it is actually a derivative from the Greek 'νᾶνος ' ('dwarf') and, as such, should be treated as a noun in apposition, thus falling under ICZN Art. 31.2.1.?
> If so, would 'Neoromicia nanus' be the correct spelling? If not, can you please suggest the proper grammatic rules that would apply in this case?
>
> PS I deliberately aim to avoid the other nomenclatural and taxonomic issues that plague this species (or, more likely, species complex). Thanks for your suggestions.
Strictly speaking, "nanus" does indeed appear to be a Latin noun based
on Greek (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nanus), and if originally
spelled in this way, should be treated as indeclinable under Code Art.
31.2.1 in the present case, therefore remaining "nanus". If it had been
given as "nana" in the original spelling (e.g., "Tinkerbella nana", just
recently described) it still apparently would be considered a noun
(http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nana#Latin), and thus also indeclinable.

The main reason this is confusing is that various people HAVE, over
historical time, treated the term (when used for other taxa) as if it
were an adjective - possibly because nanus and nana are both viable
epithets, and people mistakenly assumed they were adjectival forms of
the same word. This is unfortunate, at best, and - under other
circumstances - potentially a lot more contentious. Before others chime
in with complaints over gender agreement, bear in mind that with the
development of ZooBank, it is possible to include a field in the name
registration process that requires any epithet to be registered
explicitly as to whether it is a noun or an adjective, so it won't
require debates by future generations of taxonomists. They can just look
it up. Cleaning up the historical names in a similar fashion, through
retrospective registration, is not as difficult as one might think.

Sincerely,