[Taxacom] [iczn-list] Dealing with taxonomic vandalism without the need to alter the zoological Code, this being relegation of bogus taxa to synonymy

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Jan 10 16:22:12 CST 2014

>Question #1 is "Are ethical violations a problem that affects taxonomy and nomenclature"? So far, nearly everyone seems to be skipping over that question entirely. If the answer is no, then we could end the discussion right there

NO! At least no more so than any other area of human activity. Besides, what objective meaning is the ICZN giving to "ethical violations"? Looks to me like it is just what a few vocal institutional taxonomists think ought to be stamped out! This looks alarmingly similar to some of the more tragic events in human history where the "ethics" of a few were imposed on the many. The problem here is that a few vocal institutional taxonomists are yelling "hell yes!" to your question #1. Ignore them ..

Stephen