[Taxacom] Neoromicia nanus or Neoromicia nana?

Rosenberg,Gary rosenberg.ansp at drexel.edu
Sun Jan 12 15:06:07 CST 2014

“Nanus” (dwarf), “nanum” (watering pot), and “nana” (female dwarf) are all nouns in Latin (see Littleton’s Latin dictionary <here<http://books.google.com/books?id=IUAhAQAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=latin+dictionary&hl=en&sa=X&ei=QAHTUrTuEsmjsQSa94CoDA&ved=0CIABEOgBMAk#v=snippet&q=nanus%20nanum&f=false>>). Unless adjectival usage is stated in the original, when a species is named using one of these epithets, the name is invariant. “Nanus, -a, um” as an adjective seems not to appear in classical and medieval Latin.

The original description of Vespertilio nanus <here<http://books.google.com/books?id=_XBBAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA63&dq=Vespertilio+nanus&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Cf_SUuDOFJSssQTEgoDYCw&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Vespertilio%20nanus&f=false>> does not give a derivation, so the current name should be formed as “Neoromicia nanus“.

Best wishes,

Gary