[Taxacom] Taxonomic concepts [Was: Questions on Taxonomic Code of Practice]

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 18:38:41 CST 2014

I am pretty sure botanical convention, if not The Code, accommodates these
situations succinctly.

If it is a homonym, the author (plus the combining author, if there is one
- I have no idea why you guys throw away this useful piece of information)
lets you know what is going on.

If it is a difference of concept, 'sensu' is the signal (we are never
really going to get rid of Latin, you know).

If a name is variously illegitimate, 'auct.' is the alert notification.

If the name is a misidentification, 'auct. non' tells you so, and who (or
'auctt. non' if ther have been multiple).

There are probably others I can not remember.

We certainly don't write descriptive sentences to cover this stuff...

jim

--
Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~ http://about.me/jrc