[Taxacom] Neoromicia nanus or Neoromicia nana?

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Mon Jan 13 05:47:49 CST 2014

In the AnimalBase team we have marked nanus, -a, -um as an
adjective. Our list was elaborated by Oliver Eikel who had consulted
Latin dictionaries and who in the course of this research had come to
this conclusion.

http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~fwelter/changeable.htm

There is a molluscan name Pomatias nanus Westerlund, 1879, currently
known since quite a long time as Cochlostoma nanum (Westerlund,
1879). I have never noticed any objections.

I have no solution. Maybe it is better not to interfere in
the currently proposed form "N. nana", and to avoid introducing
technically a second name for the species (in many electronic systems
N. nanum and N. nana are two different names). I would only propose a
differend ending if I am absolutely sure, or if various endings have
been proposed in the past anyway.

Some time ago I have proposed to set up a list as an appendix to the
Code, to define a limited list of adjectives which must be changed,
and to replace the other rules, especially those involving
dictionaries.

Francisco

F. Welter-Schultes
Zoologisches Institut, Berliner Str. 28, D-37073 Goettingen
Phone +49 551 395536, Fax +49 551 395579
http://www.gwdg.de/~fwelter
http://www.animalbase.org