[Taxacom] Neoromicia nanus or Neoromicia nana?

Rosenberg,Gary rosenberg.ansp at drexel.edu
Mon Jan 13 10:42:17 CST 2014

Late Latin is not part of Latin according to the glossary of the Code. Only ancient Latin and mediaeval Latin are defined as Latin. Late Latin words that did not exist in ancient or mediaeval Latin must be regarded as latinized. Authors are free to create latin adjectives when they name species, for example the Spanish adjective "hermosa" latinized as "hermosus, -a -um". If an author intended the word to be an adjective, but didn't give the derivation, conflicts can arise with existing Latin words (and suffixes), as happened with "nanus".

Best wishes,
Gary