[Taxacom] combining stem of subfamily ending 'pelma'

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Jan 13 15:41:38 CST 2014

Yes, this is another common mistake. As far as the grammar goes, the correctspelling should be Acanthopelmatinae, and this keeps the original authorship if corrected from Acanthopelminae. But the situation could be complicated by "prevailing usage" considerations in the Code?

Article 16.2 (http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted-sites/iczn/code/index.jsp?article=16) requires that the type genus be explicitly stated whenever a new family-group name is first proposed. This is a cause of considerable chaos!

Cheers,

Stephen