[Taxacom] Neoromicia nanus or Neoromicia nana?

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Tue Jan 14 11:48:20 CST 2014

I agree that we should have unique identifiers for species,
species-groups, and like that.

Chris, you imply that there is too much argument over Latin words as
unique identifiers. How will any other unique identifiers NOT be argued
over?

Taxonomists-in-a-hurry will want to use their own unique identifiers,
like species "A" and "B" or X22%KK. Bad persons will defend their use of
binary numbers. Others will suggest base 12 as more natural.

Still others will suggest using letters as less expensive of
informational space than digits. Some few may feel that organizing the
letters to make easily memorized words is the best way to help humans
keep track of biodiversity. Politically sensitive persons will suggest
words from an Esperanto dictionary, and suggest they be paid to
translate species names from Latin to Esperanto. Others may suggest
Chinese ideograms as even more saving of informational space and easily
comprehended by the majority of us.

Some reactionary persons may well opine that why not leave Latin alone
and just try to get it right.

Richard

Richard H. Zander
Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/ and
Evol. Syst.: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/EvSy/Intro.htm
UPS and FedExpr -  Missouri Botanical Garden, 4344 Shaw Blvd, St. Louis
MO 63110 USA