[Taxacom] recursive SQL database for taxonomy available?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Jan 14 13:28:16 CST 2014

Hi Kim,

We have a number of recursive representations of things (including asserted
taxonomic hierarchies) in GNUB (Global Names Usage Bank), and I would say
that the content is "substantial".  And, of course, it is open source.

Are you more interested in the data, or the SQL statements to generate
recursion (i.e., transform a hierarchical nested set of records in a single
table to a flattened concatenated, delimited list of elements in sequence)?
I could go on for hours about both; however, I think it's in the best
interests of everyone (including myself) that I not attempt to do that now.

But I am more than happy to elaborate in more detail, if you are interested,
and if I have a better understanding of what you are looking for.

It could represent a "teachable moment" for how GNUB captures taxonomic
information.

Aloha,
Rich