[Taxacom] Neoromicia nanus or Neoromicia nana?

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Tue Jan 14 15:03:43 CST 2014

Doug,

I appreciate your valuable suggestions and contributions to such
discussions. Your proposal sounds good, at least from a theoretical point
of view. For the practical life I would modify the time spans and say, at
least one year is fine, but I would add an additional requirement that at
least 4 or 5 independent researchers with approved experise in the
discipline (I see the difficulty to define such a status) must confirm the
correctness of an entry, before the entry gets an approved status. Maybe
these thoughts are already incorporated in your model. Just absence of
sufficient affirmative comments within 3 or 5 years should not
automatically lead to modifying the official status of a name.

My experience is that at least malacologists may easily take more than ten
years until an expert finds the time to work on such an issue. In many
subgroups it's 20 years. This is due to the unpaid nature of professional
work in this field.

Francisco