[Taxacom] Release of The Plant List v 1.1 with changed data access (was: Open, Free / The economics of biodiversity database initiatives)

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Tue Jan 14 19:45:22 CST 2014

Dear Taxacomers,

For those who may have missed it, I note that as foreshadowed by Rafaël's post from October, the new improved (1.1) version of The Plant List now available at http://www.theplantlist.org/ not only includes upgraded content as expected, but also removes the previous restrictive "no derivatives" licence in place of more liberal provisions for re-use as detailed at http://www.theplantlist.org/1.1/terms/, which includes among other statements the following:

<snip>
General Usage

Use of Content for non-commercial or non-profit use is encouraged. The Plant List supports Target 1 of the 2010 Global Strategy for Plant Conservation to produce a widely-accessible working list of all plant species. Provided that any use is otherwise in accordance with these Terms of Use you may print, use and download Content, without requesting prior permission.

Permission for reposting, sublicensing and/or redistribution

Use of Content in Derivative works is encouraged... Derivative works may be distributed, including electronically or in print form, without prior written permission from us, provided that appropriate acknowledgement and citation to source is included.

</snip>

This is excellent news and it is encouraging that the List compilers have responded constructively to feedback from various quarters regarding the original non-reusability of TPL data, as well as a data re-use model which could perhaps be promoted into other comparable large scale taxonomic data compilations where more restrictive use conditions presently apply.

Regards - Tony

Dr Tony Rees
Manager | Divisional Data Centre
Marine and Atmospheric Research
CSIRO
E Tony Rees at csiro.au T +61 3 6232 5318
CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research, GPO Box 1538, Hobart, TAS 7001, Australia
www.cmar.csiro.au/datacentre
Manager, OBIS Australia regional Node, http://www.obis.au
LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/tony-rees/18/770/36
PLEASE NOTE
The information contained in this email may be confidential or privileged. Any unauthorised use or disclosure is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please delete it immediately and notify the sender by return email. Thank you. To the extent permitted by law, CSIRO does not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.