[Taxacom] recursive SQL database for taxonomy available?

Eric Gouda E.J.Gouda at uu.nl
Thu Jan 16 08:33:10 CST 2014

taxacom-request at mailman.nhm.ku.edu schreef op 15-1-2014 19:00:
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 09:28:16 -1000
> From: "Richard Pyle"<deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
> Subject: Re: [Taxacom] recursive SQL database for taxonomy available?
> To: "'Kim van der Linde'"<kim at kimvdlinde.com>,	"'TAXACOM'"
> 	<taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
>
> Hi Kim,
>
> We have a number of recursive representations of things (including asserted
> taxonomic hierarchies) in GNUB (Global Names Usage Bank), and I would say
> that the content is "substantial".  And, of course, it is open source.
>
> Are you more interested in the data, or the SQL statements to generate
> recursion (i.e., transform a hierarchical nested set of records in a single
> table to a flattened concatenated, delimited list of elements in sequence)?
> I could go on for hours about both; however, I think it's in the best
> interests of everyone (including myself) that I not attempt to do that now.
Hi Richard,

I'm not sure I understand.

For my Bromeliad research I use a MySQL taxon database with rank and
epithet fields. The name field is a recursive function to calculate the
full name for a Taxon. You can use as many groups below family level and
higher and there is a taxon tree representation as well as a flat list.

I can't think of other recursive functioniality

Best wishes,
Eric Gouda

--
University Botanic Gardens