[Taxacom] Protist systematics

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 23 20:54:17 CST 2014

Hi all,

       I was just comparing my 2011 classification (see below) with that of Adl et al. 2012.  They are phylogenetically almost the same, except that Adl still recognizes a broader Excavata as a single clade, while I separate them as a paraphyletic grouping, into two adjacent, but separate, clades (Euglenozoa and Excavata sensu stricto), as does Thomas Cavalier-Smith.
      Otherwise, it is mainly minor semantic differences.  They refer to Clade 3 as Amorphea, whereas it is better known as Unikonta (and a better name in my opinion).  And for what Cavalier-Smith has refered to as the photokaryotes (Clades 4 to 10), they now propose the more formal name Diaphoretickes.  Seems to me Photokaryota would be easier to remember and understand.  Diaphoretickes sounds more like an arachnid that might bite you and suck your blood (sorry, I couldn't resist that one).
      I couldn't help but notice that Adl (et al.) gave PhyloCode definitions for their new taxa.  And this no doubt indicates they are opposed to the recognition of any paraphyletic taxa however useful they might be.  I guess that is still a popular band-wagon to hop onto.  Will be interesting to see if their broad Excavata actually turns out to be paraphyletic (how embarrassing that would be).
      Anyway, given that paraphyly is really a natural product of evolution, I am always surprised to see how far some will go to "appear" to avoid paraphyly.  And yet in the process, they often end up proprosing paraphyletic groupings that are less useful than the paraphyletic taxa they themselves oppose (such as Kingdom Protista).  At these highest levels of classification in particular, strict "cladifications" are about as unnatural as it gets.  Too bad limited paraphyly is still seen as a bad thing, and those who bash paraphyly can still get rewarded for doing so.
                 -----------------Ken Kinman

                KINGDOM PROTISTA

   1   Euglenozoa
  2A   Percolozoa
   B   Loukozoa
   C   Metamonada
  3A   Amoebozoa
   B   Apusozoa
   C  Choanozoa%%
            1A  Cristidiscoidea
            1B  {{Eumycota}}
            2   Ichthyosporea
            ?   Corallochytrea
            3   Filasterea
            4   Choanoflagellatea
            5   {{Metazoa}}
 _a_   {{Kingdom EUMYCOTA}} (true fungi)
 _b_   {{Kingdom METAZOA}}
  4A   Glaucophyta
   B   Rhodophyta
   C   Chlorophyta%
 _a_   {{Kingdom METAPHYTA}} (embryophytes)
  5A   Cryptophyta
   B   Haptophyta
   6   Rhizaria
   7   Heterokonta (stramenopiles)
   8  Ciliophora
   9   Dinozoa (or Dinophyta)
  10   Sporozoa

NOTES: Clades 5-10 make up the "SAR" clade (Cavalier-Smith's Chromista
sensu lato). Clades 4-10 form the photokaryote clade.   Clades 3-10
form Cavalier-Smith's "Neozoa"; Clades 2-10 form Cavalier-Smith's
"neokaryotes".   Clade 3 is "Unikonta" and Clade 3B (Choanozoa and its
two exgroups) form the Opisthokonta clade of which we are a part).
    ADDED NOTE:  And as noted above, Clades 7-10 have been named Clade
Halvaria.