[Taxacom] categorical systematics

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Fri Jan 24 17:18:44 CST 2014

Yes, just because the totality of evolution is a continuum (which may not actually be quite true?), doesn't mean that discrete categories aren't appropriate for classification, particularly for extant taxa (a time slice of the tree), and the fossil record is so fragmentary that we will never see much of the continuum anyway.

Stephen