[Taxacom] save Prokaryota!!! (was: Knocking Hennig off his pedestal

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 10:20:43 CST 2014

Hi Fred,         There is a definite consensus that Eukaryota is a clade which arose from a single ancestor (possessing a nucleus).  The multiphyletic amalgamation of some of its descendants (picking up organelles such as chloroplasts) would not affect the monophyly of Eukaryota as a whole.                                          -------------Ken                              P.S.  I didn't bring up the Reptilia because it is doubly paraphyletic (and thus messier and a more contentious subject).  However, a paraphyletic Amphibia giving rise to the clade Amniota is another example of a useful paraphyly that should be maintained.  And Amphibia is paraphyletic whether or not one formally categorizes it as Class Amphibia.  Likewise, one is not obligated to categorize Eukaryota, but it is usually labelled as an Empire, Superkingdom, or Domain.