[Taxacom] save Crustacea and Amphibia!!!

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 27 19:46:10 CST 2014

Hi All,
        I was just thinking about a paraphyletic taxon that is still extremely useful and has been for centuries.  Crustacea is now almost universally recognized as being paraphyletic with respect to the insects.  Another example is Order Artiodactyla being paraphyletic with respect to Order Cetacea.
        And I was reading an online criticism of cladistics for not recognizing a paraphyletic Amphibia.  Cladists were characterized as "picky, picky, picky", and "putting students off".  Unfortunately, this person therefore seems to have developed the opinion that perhaps we have too many taxonomists in general.  I really hate it when strict cladists make taxonomists in general look bad.  Here's a weblink to that:
http://www.biology-online.org/biology-forum/about19816.html?p=126413&hilit=Amphibia#p126413
        Cladistics is a great diagnostic tool, but those who insist on only strictly cladistic classifications ("cladifications") deserve being called "picky, picky, picky".