[Taxacom] Monarch butterfly population reaches new low

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 29 20:44:34 CST 2014

Dear All,
        I was just reading another article in which scientists are hopeful that herbicide producers like Monsanto will spend some money encouraging gardeners to plant milkweed in their gardens, especially in the Midwest U.S.A.  My own experience with milkweed indicates that once the underground tubers are established, they do quite well, even in poor clay soils.
        Shipping out seedlings might work, but I would think tubers would survive shipping better, and would be easier to get established in one's garden.  I would think even shipping out packets of milkweed seeds would be more economical than shipping seedlings.  I've personally only transplanted milkweed tubers, so I don't know how hard it is to grow them from seeds (probably easier than shipping and transplanting seedlings).  Three different options, but seedlings would probably be the least successful in shipping or transplanting.
                    ------Ken Kinman http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2014/01/monarch_butterfly_decline_monsanto_s_roundup_is_killing_milkweed.html                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------