[Taxacom] What A Great Time to be a Young Systematist

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 07:40:57 CDT 2014

With respect to my experience in a small local science museum I found that
public interest in supporting the museum, as reflected in the priorities of
the region,s governmental and private foundations, was focused on education
for which success was measured by the number of members, door visitation,
and schools etc. served. This was the overwhelmingly single main focus in
assessing (by these organizations) the success of the museum and in
providing funding. Not long before I arrived the museum reduced its science
research staff (it also reduced its overall staffing in other areas as well
so it was not simply a matter of picking on research) due to budgetary
constraints (my understanding was that the museum was in debt for quite
some time) and this situation quickly declined further with the effects of
a subsequent recession resulting in another reduction which affected more
non-research than research staff. There was an ensuing outcry from a number
of people that focused on the loss of curators and some accused the museum
of not safeguarding the collections (not true of course since collections
can be properly managed without research staff as is the case in quite a
number of museums where collection curation has been disconnected from
researchers).

The irony of the outcry was that in the larger scheme of things, the
governmental and foundation organizations were not so concerned. Rather,
they wanted to see the museum be economically viable and succeed in what
they saw as its primary mission - education through exhibits and programs.
So I agreed with the critics about the loss of research curators (even
though my credibility was also attacked, quite viciously sometimes) and
eventually I lost my position as the museum finally eliminated all research
related programs. The museum did, however, enlarge its curatorial staff
(after having separated it from research) to meet its American Association
of Museums responsibilities for maintaining proper care of the collections
(interestingly AAM has no counterpart requiring maintenance of an
appropriate research related curatorial component).

So I see the situation at this museum as a microcosm of what may be
happening in general. For museums that derive their funding through pubic
grants and public visitation based on educational need and interest,
support for collections based research may no longer viable. I heard about
one museum which was in severe financial difficulty where if all research
staff were eliminated they would have a balanced budget. Perhaps it will be
largely institutions such as universities where salaries are based on
faculty teaching can research continue as an adjunct activity at levels
commensurate, with external funding which often leads to focus on those
fields that bring in money or are related to aspects of biology that are
seen to have broader applicability (e.g. molecular fields) and higher costs
than could be maintained at smaller museums.

John Grehan