[Taxacom] A good year indeed!

Michael A. Ivie mivie at montana.edu
Wed Nov 12 18:24:05 CST 2014

Further to my comments about the plethora of excellent job Openings, I
give you 2 more:

  Assistant/Associate Curator Arachnology

California Academy of Sciences seeks an inspirational scientist who
exemplifies the Academy's mission to "explore, explain, and sustain life
on Earth."
<http://calacademy.snaphire.com/jobdetails?ajid=9LVs8>

and

CURATOR, SCHLINGER FOUNDATION CHAIR OF ENTOMOLOGY

The Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History seeks applicants for Curator
of Entomology. This is a full time, exempt position, supported by
endowment. Responsible for the continued development of the entomology
collection and the energetic leadership of programs promoting the study
and appreciation of insects as well as participation in the Museum's
nature educational programs. A doctorate in entomology (or related
subject), experience in insect collecting methodology, collection
curation, and a record of collections-based research is desired. Should
be good communicator and enthusiastic interpreter of general entomology
to the public.

Salary DOE. Please submit (1) letter of interest; (2) current CV with
list of publications, and up to three PDFs; (3) names of three
references to Human Resources Department, SB Museum of Natural History,
2559 Puesta del Sol Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93105. Electronic
transmission preferred: _hr at sbnature2.org _

Detailed job description at: _http://www.sbnature.org/about/71.html _

Other questions to Dr. Henry W. Chaney at: _hchaney at sbnature2.org _

Review of applications starts January 5, 2015, until filled. EOE.

For those that think there are never enough, I respond:

As in all human enterprises, the laws of Malthus apply to our
science.Our "reproductive capacity" is far higher than the carrying
capacity of our institutions. There will always be a larger supply of
propagules than can survive (i.e. be provided academic jobs), and
selection will take the best and discard the others, often a majority.
Some cohorts will have very strong selection, so that a tiny percentage
make it through, and at other times selection will be relaxed, and a
larger percentage will make it. Of course, this means that sometimes
very excellent propagules will be discarded in lean times, and less
excellent ones will make it through in fat times. However, the academic
reproductive rate will always provide a diverse pool with different
attributes and abilities, so that the overall resulting set will be
maximally beneficial to the future.

Mike

Michael A. Ivie, Ph.D., F.R.E.S.

Montana Entomology Collection