[Taxacom] What A Great Time to be a Young Systematist

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 12:46:16 CST 2014

Perhaps Frank is right to be an optimist. I guess after several decades I
don't see cause for optimism. Good thing we do not live forever. The idea
of linking research to education is fine, and I have seen it done on quite
a large scale, but the cost of maintaining the research program still
outweighs the benefit and funding sources do not provide the level or
consistency of funding to maintain the cost of research or research
positions, at least for small local or regional museums. There is a
difference, at least in NY state, where research positions are funded,
although even in that situation there was a recent reduction.

I think 'industry' is the definitely the right term. The very day primary
concern that I saw was the business model and budget. That concern came
before everything else. Without the money there can be no product. And like
any other business, the museum must produce what 'sells'.

John Grehan