[Taxacom] A good year indeed!

Bob Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Thu Nov 13 00:10:12 CST 2014

Michael Ivie wrote:

'However, the academic reproductive rate will always provide a diverse pool with different attributes and abilities, so that the overall resulting set will be maximally beneficial to the future.'

Thanks for that. I've always wondered why universities and graduate schools turn out so many more degree-holders than there are suitable jobs for those degree-holders. I'd naively thought it was because graduate and post-graduate programs earn money for the universities, in fees and grants, and the universities wanted to maximize that income.

Putting the overproduction of graduates, MSc's and PhD's in a biological context makes sense. Pity most of the degree-holders can't just drop everything else and roll up when demand for their specialty goes up:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2014/01/16/3926579.htm
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate