[Taxacom] big cat near Paris

Fred Schueler bckcdb at istar.ca
Fri Nov 14 10:05:16 CST 2014

Quoting Richard Jensen <rjensen at saintmarys.edu>:

> Something similar happened in the US some years back.  Turned out to be a
> large house cat!  If I recall correctly, there was also an incident in
> England with the same answer.

* ditto in eastern Ontario a few years back, when a photo of a large
domestic Cat was published in the newspaper with the implication that
it might be a Cougar - and in a neighbour's backyard where the
Ministry of Natural Resources affirmed that a photo, clearly of a
Domestic Cat, was likely a Cougar.

fred.

> These remind me of something that happened here (Notre Dame is in northern
> Indiana) about 20 years ago.  I was in our campus library when a man came
> rushing in to report that he had spotted a wolverine outside the library.
> That would have been a quite unusual occurrence and I walked out to take a
> look.  The wolverine (I was quite sure he had not seen one) was only a
> large fat groundhog.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dick
>

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Kenneth Kinman <kinman at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>        There's been a lot of news coverage about a small "tiger" roaming
>> around near Paris.  Authorities now say that it is not a tiger, but they
>> are not sure what species it is.  There is apparently only that one very
>> fuzzy picture of it, but it sort of looks like it might be a European
>> lynx.  Can't tell if it has tufts of hair on its ears or not.  Any other
>> possibilities what it might be?

           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
     study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm
"[The] two fundamental steps of scientific thought - the conjecture
and refutation of Popper - have little place in the usual conception
of intelligence. If something is to be dismissed as inadequate, it is
surely not Darwin [, whose] works manifest the activity of a mind
seeking for wisdom, a value which conventional philosophy has largely
abandoned." Ghiselen, 1969. Triumph of the Darwinian Method, p 237.