[Taxacom] Specimen database that works with sequence data

"Dröge, Gabriele" g.droege at BGBM.ORG
Fri Nov 14 10:27:55 CST 2014

Hello Eric,

GGBN (Global Genome Biodiversity Network, http://www.ggbn.org) is providing a shared portal for DNA and tissue collections. We are currently working on the new data portal (release planned 11/2015).
Currently you can search for specimens/tissue/DNA and NCBI/BOLD numbers (see http://data.ggbn.org). In the new portal one can also search for e.g. show me specimens/samples with COI sequence. I could think of crosslinks to sequence portals to enable user e.g. to download fasta from vouchered sequences only via NCBI web services.
So GGBN focuses on available information for samples and specimens deposited in Natural History Collections. We hope to increase the percentage of vouchered sequences by getting all of our partner collections online.

It might be worth to have a look at GGBN and keep those upcoming features in mind. Any feedback and ideas are welcome.

Best,
Gabi Droege
Gabriele Droege
Technical Manager - Global Genome Biodiversity Network (GGBN)
Berlin-Dahlem DNA Bank
Women's Officer ZE BGBM

Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem
Freie Universität Berlin
Koenigin-Luise-Str. 6-8
14195 Berlin
Germany