[Taxacom] Specimen database that works with sequence data

Schindel, David schindeld at si.edu
Fri Nov 14 10:31:20 CST 2014

GenBank records that comply with the BARCODE data standard have the reserved keyword BARCODE.  Each of these records includes an identifier for the voucher specimen (it's in the specimen_voucher field in the FEATURES table).  The data standard requires that the voucherID be in the form of the Darwin Core triplet (InstitutionCode:CollectionCode:CatalogNumber) but only about half of the ~475,000 BARCODE records are in the proper format.  Many records just have field numbers or the identifier provided by BOLD, the workbench at the University of Guelph from which records were submitted to GenBank.  For reasons I can't explain, BOLD never implemented a system for storing and submitting the properly formatted voucherID.  The Consortium for the Barcode of Life (CBOL) is responsible for the data standard and we will soon be broadcasting a message to the community with instructions for bringing the non-compliant voucherIDs into compliance.

Fortunately there are several 100,000s of records that have properly formatted voucherIDs (or very nearly so) and these will guide you to specimen data in museum databases.   For example, I contributed to a barcoding project on birds in the US National Museum and all 2816 resulting BARCODE records have Darwin Core triplets that are hyperlinked to a record resolver that finds the specimen record in the Museum's EMu database.  You can find all the records by searching on my last name in GenBank (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nuccore/?term=schindel) and more information is provided in ZooKeys 152: 87-91 (08 Dec 2011) doi: 10.3897/zookeys.152.2473.

David Schindel
CBOL, USNM, Smithsonian