[Taxacom] Paraphyletic groups as natural units of biological classification

Curtis Clark lists at curtisclark.org
Fri Oct 3 14:44:41 CDT 2014

On 2014-10-02 9:41 PM, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> Yes Curtis, I know what the word 'plesiomorphic' means.

Sorry, I wasn't sure after you wrote "plesiomorphic species".

> I do not understand your last sentence: Any time a species forms, it leaves behind a paraphyletic residue of whatever monophyletic group you choose.

It seems self-evident to me. Diagnose a monophyletic group of your
choice. Designate a species that has evolved within that group. The
remainder of the group is paraphyletic.

--
Curtis Clark        http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark
Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4140