[Taxacom] Nomenclatorial problem

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Oct 4 17:46:25 CDT 2014

Just to clarify something, the PDF on World Spider Catalog of the "1953" paper you refer to below is dated 1950, and the date cited in the Catalog is 1952! Unless there is good evidence to the contrary, the 1950 date must be accepted. In that paper, Denis tags his new species with n. sp., but attributes the genus to Denis, 1950. This suggests to me that the genus may have been described in an earlier 1950 paper, but this is presumably the 1966 paper, right? In the quote you give below, the spelling is Acantinozodium, not Acanthinozodium. Is that a mistake by you? If not, then that might be the correct original spelling of Acantinozodium Denis, 1966. From your quote, Denis (1966) does not explicitly refer to the "1953" publication (that seems to be an inference imposed by you). So, that can't really be said to constitute a bibliographic reference to the "1953" paper. So, it all depends on whether Denis (1966) did enough to make the genus name available
 independently of the "1953" paper, and we can't tell that from what you have written! So, the valid name of the genus could actually be Acanthinozodium Jocque, 1991, making it a junior synonym of Zodariellum. We really need to see a PDF of Denis (1966).

Stephen