[Taxacom] Paraphyletic groups as natural units of biological classification

Curtis Clark lists at curtisclark.org
Sun Oct 5 21:51:33 CDT 2014

On 2014-10-03 2:49 PM, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> Not necessarily! There might be a monophyletic group consisting of two sister species (or two sister taxa, one of which is a single species). Choose any one, and the residue is monophyletic!

I would argue that it didn't evolve "within" the group, but I don't
remember whether that wording was yours or mine. But I'm glad that you
understand what I wrote, even if there are counterexamples.

--
Curtis Clark        http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark
Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4140