[Taxacom] Nomenclatorial problem

Laurent Raty l.raty at skynet.be
Tue Oct 7 02:35:23 CDT 2014

Stephen,

I don't really get how you reach your "loose" interpretation.
As I see it, Article 13.4 describes the case of a combined description
of ONE NEW genus-group taxon and ONE NEW species-group taxon (French:
"Description couplée d'UN NOUVEAU taxon du niveau genre et d'UNE
NOUVELLE espèce"): the species must always be new. Such a description is
deemed to confer availability on each name IF it (the description, not
the species!) is "marked by "gen. nov., sp. nov." or an equivalent
expression": this condition must always be fulfilled.
Where the article is a bit ambiguous, though, is in that it might be
interpreted
- in a strict way, as requiring that only one species is included in the
genus (=the "included new nominal species" must be "single") AND the
description is tagged as a combined description, or
- in a looser way, as requiring that only ONE OF THE species included in
the genus has its description tagged as a combined description (="the
combined description" must be of a single included new nominal species).
This ambiguity exists also in the French text. Either way, the tag is
always required, though.

That said I agree that the case "may not be that simple."

In the 1956 paper, the description of the new species is marked
"Acanthinozodium sericeum sp. nov.", which clearly does not fulfill
Article 13.4. If one wants the genus-group name to be available from
this work, one has to assume that availability is confered by reference
to Denis (1952), which includes a few descriptive words. A reference to
Denis (1952) appears in this work, but only once, 8 pages before the
introduction of the new species, and in a different context (the paper
is said to introduce 6 spp and 1 ssp new for Morocco, the new genus is
not cited there at all). Thus, whether this reference really
"accompagnies" the new genus seems rather questionable.

Laurent -